Thursday, July 6, 2017

WEATHERSFIELD DAY 2

I was not very engaged today. 
Things are not going well at home.  Some of that sticks with me and takes off the holiday edge.
Also, it was a very hot day.  Too hot for me. So I did not want to be outdoors in the afternoon.

I had a grand breakfast at Sophie's right near here.
https://www.zomato.com/hartford/sophias-breakfast-and-lunch-newington/menu
Pierogi and meat blinzes were my choices.

Then I went to the museum in Hartford.
https://thewadsworth.org/


It was a fine place, packed with great art.  I found a Dali and a Goya and got absorbed in quite a few paintings. 

Sunday was a fine day to go.  The street parking was not limited to two hours and cost nothing. The entrance to the museum cost nothing because I used my Clark card.  Incredible.  A twelve dollar value.

I think I may have been here before, but long, long ago when my interest in art was not developed.  I barely remember.  Perhaps I don't remember at all. 
There was one room full of Niagara Falls paintings of which I photographed just one. 

There was another room of landscape painters.  Both Cole and Church were represented.

I skipped quickly through some of the modern bits.  I could not see why a few neon lights meant anything.
I laughed at much of the Warhol, like this one of an old water heater in an ad.  But I was interested in the Marilyn series.  I remember some of them published in a short lived magazine I bought.  Avant Guard.   I also saw them in some other gallery somewhere.  Perhaps there is more than one version.

One statue of Greek women calling with their thumbs for the the death of some fighter was interesting against the stereotype of women as better at mercy and peace.

I shopped a bit today for groceries and found some things I can't find at home just down the street in the Stop and Shop. I particularly like the Newman's organic teas, black in and green in boxes.  I bought some Felipe Segundo in a liquor store and a four dollar bottle of wine on closeout that I opened last night and found just fine.  It was in a cart with Tisdale.

I watched a good bit of old television. One station here had all old Westerns and I enjoyed Bonanza.  In the evening I enjoyed an old Johnny Carson Tonight show, including a visit by Melanie Griffith and Tim Allen.  Great old stuff!  Johnny's political opening was very funny and reminded me of the old days.  Melanie was very attractive and cute. She was a bit shy, or pretended she was shy.  That made her more cute.

I ate a bite of lunch and later supper in front of the television here.  I bought a roasted chicken and it made a fine meal.
I watched a show on the life of the famous bird painter, Autobon.  It was very interesting   His life was saved from war with Napoleon when his father sent him here to live.  He lived well in Kentucky, but then made a bad investment and left with no money.  He had a job teaching and doubled it to work on his goal to paint off of America's birds in life sized paintings.  Quite a task.

I had thought I'd go back to Mohegan Sun, but I did not have the drive to do so in spite there being a 1-1 game going later in the day.
I'll certainly go again on July 4th and be happy to be out of the mainstream celebration.
All this art had tired me out.





I liked this painting.  The photo does not do it any justice.  It was a huge painting and very colorful, especially red.

I thought this was one of those rather bizarre modern pieces.



This sure fits with the style of the other Dali pieces I have seen.


This had got to be the most interesting cradle I have ever seen.  Amazing really.


The relief from an unpleasant situation in Brazil is the painting above.  This fellow is surrounded by more wild boar than I have ever seen.




Great piece of Homer.  Here is the solitary sense of the man as he faces the power of the ocean.



I loved the clear images in this painting. It was almost like a photograph.  It is one of my favorites in the museum.  It is so typical of the time of Fitzgerald.






Interesting to see a Rivera here.  I had not seen this one before.







I think I am developing an interest in Wyeth.  I was sorry to miss a special program on his art at the Clark.



In the room of this Niagara Falls painting were others of Niagara Falls and other falls.  It was interesting to see them collected together.

There was an entire section reflecting the Charter Oak.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter_Oak

This was quite a tree. 

 I found the Warhol.  I can relate to this Marilyn Monroe series of paintings, but not to much else he did.  To me the drawing of a $55 gallon water heater from an old add is just ludicrous as art.






Very silly.
************************************************************

There was a video of various people using a telephone for just a few seconds.  Most were from old movies.  I did think it was interesting.

In one Asian section there were no explanations of the art.  Here are some of the ceramic tea pots.  Id do think of tea pots as art. There are some in my window.

These ceramic wine coolers  were very beautiful.  The featured birds.






I saw this Goya from across the room and immediately recognized the distinctive face of the woman.  I have not seen this one before, even in books.

Here is a better photo. 






He did quite a few, many in a very similar style.
STILL LIFE PAINTINGS















In the Black section I found this great photograph of one of my favorited groups.



This book was mentioned in the Harriet Beecher Stowe tour. 



In the Japanese section, these caught my eye.






In the hallway I saw this fine sculpture of women calling for death.  I don't know the context.  Gladiators?  At any rate it explodes the myth that women are less blood thirsty than men.
Thumbs down!!!!!!!!!!!


another  view is here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/docjfw/6923357584/


Here is the museum.
Here is an outside sculpture that was interesting if a bit too modern for me.

I did like capturing this view of Hartford.
And any fountain with fish catches my attention.
In front of the library next door was this fine sculture of Mark Twain.


Here is another blogger who visited this museum with a better constructed blog.

She has some exceptional photographs of the Dali.



No comments:

Post a Comment