Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Last Day/ Stonington lighthouse

note:   As well as posting this, I've added in some photographs on earlier posts from this trip.

I was tired out today.
I wandered down to Stonington.
It was a grand little town on the ocean.  All along the way through the countryside were ancient stone fences and the fieldstone was very large for such structures.  I did not see any animals.
There was free parking at the point where the light house turned museum was located and plenty of sailboats to watch.  I passed on paying $10 for a short swim off the beach.




This is the lighthouse.  It is very different from other light houses.  It is shorter than most and made of stone.  A well is inside as well as a sunken cistern where water was collected and drained for use in the house.

I thought the lighthouse museum was a bit pricey at senior rate $8 for such a small experience.  I think I got my money's worth because since reading Moby Dick, I've been interested in whaling and there were some fishing bits here as well.
This was a pretty cool piece of wood with a whaling theme.




Notice around the fireplace are some fire buckets like those I saw in Wethersfield. They were used to get water to drown a fire.


A fine assortement of cannon balls, and an assortment of whale processing tools.

This was from Hawaii.  It was called hook line and sinker.  Some large fish would have bitten this hook.
Here are some old oarlocks from whale boats.
This was a fairly sad story.  Death was common on the water in those days.


This is very much like the chair from Bernie that I just repaired.




These are views from the Lighthouse tower.  Once up the winding staircase I had to climb a street ladder to get into the section where the light one was mounted.


I walked around behind the museum and saw this very interesting bush.


For a while I sat on the bench just visible beyond this garden.  I could watch the water roll in over huge rocks.  It was a good spot, but the day was too oppressively hot.





























No comments:

Post a Comment