Wednesday, August 23, 2017

A Return Visit to the Wadsworth Atheneum

From the Old State House it is a short walk to the Atheneum if you know which direction to take.  The greeter at the Old State House gave me good directions.

As I find when I visit other museums, a new visit gives a new perspective.  I may find things I missed and I also find paintings I am happy to revisit  The statue of the woman with fish wrapped around her was one example.  It is the first thing the visitor sees and set in the center of a huge square where it is comfortable to sit and study her lines and beauty and the faces of the fish with their tales barely revealed in her flowing robes.
















 This exhibit was similar to the one on drinking that I saw in Utica at the Munsen Museum called Coctail Culture goes to the movies.

http://nasher.duke.edu/2013/07/telephones/

Here again is the idea that art can be anything the viewer wants it to be.  I find that abandons the very essence of what I want from art, a communication from artist to viewer as well as a clear sense of real or surreal experience.  I am not much of a fan of intentional ambiguity.




Here is an era of style and design that does not appeal to me.  This table seems to be the worst of modern design and to reflect a really unappealing sense of both comfort and beauty.
The idea of designing a chair that might tip over is just appauling.

























No comments:

Post a Comment